November 07, 2012

A word about homework

There will always be "those nights" where homework cannot get done. These nights I leave it up to you.  I need Moms and Pops to decide what's best.  The purpose of homework at this level is to help my students establish good work habits for the future. It also helps them to take responsibility for their own learning because the instructions are given in class (so they need to listen carefully) and then students go home and apply the skills (they demonstrate independence and responsibility).  

I'm okay with the occasional note in the agenda letting me know that homework could not be done. Rather than stay up super late or mess with the entire family's evening, I'd rather see the child complete the homework the next night or over the weekend and then everyone is happy.  

If you're finding homework to be an ongoing problem, please give me a call and we can discuss some strategies, but for those "once in a blue moon nights" where it's just not going to happen, just let me know via the agenda. 

Keeping the child in at recess to complete homework is not possible as I may have yard duty or have other top-secret teacher work. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...