January 29, 2013

Spelling Inventory

I'm not the biggest fan of spelling tests,  but at the same time, as we all know, there are some spelling rules in the English language we simply need to memorize.  It helps us communicate more effectively and it assists us with spelling unfamiliar words. For example, since I know how to spell "cries" I can use that to help me remember the rule about changing supply to supplies. 

On Monday, we're going to have a good ol' fashioned spelling test on these words. We've had this test before, at the start of the year and I'd like to see how the students do now that we are at the midway point of the year. We've done a lot of word study via our Morning Message and Poems of the Week and I want to see where we're at. 

Our goal is for all students to achieve at least 22/26 on the Spelling Inventory.  
By memorizing the spelling patterns for all of the words on the list, students of all learning abilities can be more successful writers and communicators.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...