April 28, 2014

Twistin' time is here!

This week, we're going to focus on the "funny twist". For centuries authors have taken us on a ride where we thought we had the outcome all planned out and then WHAMMO! They sock it to us with a funny, unexpected twist! 


Check out our hilarious Poem of the Week by Kenn Nesbitt! It has a very funny twist!  


I'm staying home from school today.
I'd rather be in bed
pretending that I have a pain
that's pounding in my head.


I'll say I have a stomach ache.
I'll claim I've got the flu.
I'll shiver like I'm cold
and hold my breath until I'm blue.



I'll fake a cough. I'll fake a sneeze.
I'll say my throat is sore.
If necessary I can throw
tantrum on the floor.



I'm sure I'll get away with it.
Of that, there's little doubt.
But, even so, I really hope
my students don't find out.


Our EQAO-prep activity also focuses on an unexpected, funny twist. It's a story about a class that goes on a field trip and the teacher is worried about leaving one particular student behind. In the end, it's the teacher that almost gets left behind! 

To kick off our week, we read an hilarious new story by Mo Willems called, "That's Not a Good Idea". It's his newest book and it's terrific! It has a very funny, very unexpected twist that no one saw coming! I won't spoil it for you, but it's definitely worth a read! 

We're going to talk all week long about why authors do the funny twist and how it challenges us as readers and even makes reading more fun. Mo Willems' book gave us a great laugh and sparked a wonderful conversation and I hope there are many more to come this week.  

I don't know if what happens to this poor little fella qualifies as a funny twist, (it comes close!), but this video cracks me up every time I see it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...