June 29, 2016

That was fast

I just don't know where the time went. It goes by faster and faster with each passing year doesn't it?  It seems like it was five minutes ago that I walked my class upstairs and welcomed them into Room 208 and then 40 weeks later, here we are. My hope is that they enjoyed the adventure as much as I did. Every single day, we laughed, learned together and then laughed some more.  We sang songs, read poems, told stories and had our own little jokes that no one else understands. And like all families, we had some bumps in the road and we talked, planned, and then carried on.  

When they look back on our year together, I hope my students will say they learned the value of a good handshake,  that good manners and saying a person's name are just as important as knowing your times-tables, and that if you always pack your sense of humor and treat people the way you want to be treated, there's really no limit to what you can achieve.  

I'm proud of our year together. It was time exceptionally well spent. They say when the teacher is happy, everyone is happy, and this year, I was really, really happy.  My classroom feels like a home, that's always a goal of mine, and leaving my "real" home and heading to my "school" home each day to spend my day with your children never felt like work. Even when I over-filled the sink or jammed the copier, it was always a pleasure to spend my day with my school family.  

It is my sincere hope that my students will look back on our year together and recall it fondly. I hope I've made a difference in their lives. I hope that I've taught lessons that will remain with them and that I made them feel special and important.  I can tell you that your children certainly made me feel this way.  I often refer to my students as my "chickadees", and as my mother will confirm for you, this little group literally felt like my little chicks.  I noticed early on. They followed me everywhere and clung to every word. They seemed fascinated and engaged and I cherished that so much. I always will. 

It was so heart-warming to watch this crew get to work after instructions were given or lessons were taught. One could practically read their minds. They looked like they were thinking "Hey, if she said to do it, I'm sure it's important, so let's get 'er done." I have a sneaky feeling that if I told them we were going to learn about the history of paper-towels, they'd sit up straight, with a smile on their face and be ready to learn. They're just that sweet.   

They were interested in everything and just wanted to show you their very best. What more could a teacher ask for? What more could a parent ask for?  

Thank you for sharing them with me.  I gave your special people my very best and I will miss them terribly as they move on to Grade Four.  

Next Fall, I've designated last recess as the "visiting hour" during the school year, and my hope is that my room will be full once again with the enthusiastic voices and shiny smiles of my 2015-2016 friends.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...