September 13, 2017

It still smells so good!

A new school year, new teacher, new classroom, new expectations, new, new, new!  It can be hard for an 8 year old to keep up with all this new-ness!  They're even on a new floor in the school!  

I don't know about you, but I can't do my best when I'm feeling overwhelmed, so this year, I'm trying something different: Play Doh.  



In addition to initiatives such as Brag Tags, morning handshakes, lots of singing and happy notes in the agenda, I'm  using Play Doh first as a confidence booster and community builder, and then as an actually learning tool.

Here's a bit of our backstory: each student had to "earn" their Play Doh this week and I'm proud to say, that by Tuesday afternoon, they've all done so.  By copying their agendas neatly, correctly, and in a timely manner, they were able to choose their color from the reading table. Students were told to put the Play Doh in their desks and that at some point this week, an explanation would be given.  The curiosity started building right away!  



On Tuesday afternoon, the boys and girls learned the rules around the Play Doh:  

  • it stays in our desk until we're asked to take it out
  • using the Play Doh will require a great deal of listening 
  • we're likely not talking when we're using our Play Doh 
  • if expectations are not followed, the Play Doh is put away for the session and one becomes "an observer" 
  • little bits of Play Doh are not to be removed to play with at our leisure  
  • natural consequences will be experienced if the lid is not replaced correctly and the PD dries out 
  • we can't be pounding our desks with the PD because the purpose of our sessions is to relax our mind, focus on developing our listening skills, overall self-regulation and support our learning
Finally, around 1:55 on Tuesday afternoon, the boys and girls were told that if they "Took out their agendas, retrieved their lunch bags from the shelf in the classroom and lined up quietly to pack their school bags for the night" I would have a big announcement. They knew where this was going.  See what happened right there? A common goal to work toward and they succeeded! 

From there the instructions were, "You may open your Play Doh and play with it. Please do not talk, just enjoy your time. If you want to communicate with someone, you must find a way to do so without actually speaking."  That was their challenge and once again, success!  

When they couldn't get their Play Doh out of the container, they silently asked for help and a table-mate assisted (relationships building!). From start to finish (including the trip in the hallway to pack those school bags) this all took about 6 minutes and it was well worth it. Everyone went out for recess with a huge smile on their face and I believe it was the highlight of our day. 

I'm really excited about all the different ways we can use our Play Doh in the classroom.  I found some great ideas here to support my students' learning, but right now, the focus is on simply developing our listening skills, showing responsibility for our own success and learning materials, along with building relationships.  I'm hoping it helps my students relax, and because they're able to follow my simple instructions and expectations, they feel like they're succeeding in grade three, regardless of their reading level or math skills.  


I think we're on to something here! And I couldn't resist, there's 19 students in my class, but I picked up an extra can for myself, just to take a whiff and go back in time!   

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...